Thursday, June 30, 2005

RIP Shelby Foote

Shelby Foote to Walker Percy, 18 Feb 1952


I think each book has its own problems. All a writer can do is tackle it on its own terms, see it the clearest he can, and then sail in. Each is a voyage beset by shoals. If he fails, he fails and thats most miserable...but there is a great resource left--there will be other books and other problems; life is long and the individual facets of Art are fleeting, except of course in the long view: which no writer ever takes, being a particular sort of fool, & therefore wise.

Part of the difference between us proceeds from a basic difference of approach. You, I think, believe that you have something to TELL people, and youd appreciate any help from anywhere that you thought would enable you to TELL them this thing more effectively; also you have a sort of modesty. I'm different on both counts. I don't want to TELL anybody anything; I want to SHOW them--I believe that is the only way to tell them; I want to communicate a view of the world; I think thats true wisdom. So that our difference springs from the fact that you think my end-endeavor is merely a stop on the way and you are willing to jump over it, take the word of others as to how to accomplish it--you want to get by it as swiftly and effectively as possible...Youre so wrong. Youll come before long to see that I am right; wisdom is frequently just an ability to see that you passed the really important point somewhere back down the line--as in this case. DONT PASS IT; STOP AND SEE WHAT I'M TRYING TO EXPLAIN. If you let anyone fiddle with your way of seeing--fiddle deliberately, I mean: not by example but by pointing out--youll nick this instrument beyond repair; youll wind up with nothing but regrets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home