Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Publicity Budget $$$$$$$$$

Hey folks, I opened my mailbox to a nice looking 6 x 9 inch envelope from The New Yorker. Hefty for its size, almost four dollars in postage to send it my way first-class.

What was inside? A free copy of Simon Doonan's book Nasty and a xeroxed note from David Rosenthal, executive vice president and publisher of Simon & Schuster books, hoping I'll enjoy the book and "graciously help spread the fun and good words" to my friends.

Did anyone else get one of these? Did they pick people randomly, or according to some New Yorker profiling? I can only assume that they couldn't send one of these to every subscriber... Or could they? Maybe I'm some kind of a tastemaker. I have influence! I have a blog!

Nobody reads it!

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Me mystified, and I'm in marketing. Peer to peer marketing is on the upswing in general, but the postage price alone is suspicious (way too high) and few books are marketed in any form whatsoever. Could it be you have a friend in Mr. Rosenthal? A distant cousin? Perhaps David was taken with you at a NYC cocktail party and this is his way of reaching out to you -- the first steps toward romance. Don't underestimate your allure, Dontoine. U R da beast.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Antoine said...

I always spelled it b-e-s-t.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home